2015 IAM Scholarship Competition
This scholarship competition is open each year to members of the IAM and their children throughout the United States and Canada under procedures and rules of eligibility explained in this Announcement. The IAM Scholarship Fund, which is used exclusively to make possible these awards, was established by the delegates of the 1960 IAM Grand Lodge Convention.
The Scholarship Competition Scholarships to make possible the attainment of a Bachelor’s degree or a two-year vocational/technical certification are determined in a competition among eligible applicants that is judged by a special Selection Committee.
Amount of the Awards Awards to members are $2,000 per academic year. They are granted for a specific period from one to four years to enable the member to earn a Bachelor’s degree or a two-year vocational/technical certification.
Awards to Children of Members are: College — $1,000 per academic year. All awards are renewed each year until a Bachelor’s degree is obtained up to a maximum of four years. Vocational/Technical School — $2,000 per year until certification is reached up to a maximum of two years.
ELIGIBILITY FOR COMPETITION
An Eligble Applicant Must Be Either—
A Member Applicant –
Child of a Member Applicant –
Ineligible Applicants Include –
There are three different Application Packets. Please choose the appropriate link below to apply for an IAM Scholarship. The Application Packet must be completed and postmarked by February 25, 2015.
To be valid, an application must be submitted on the appropriate form. If you do not qualify under the above requirements, please do not send an application. No exceptions can be made to the rules. Application Packets for the 2015 competition may also be obtained by calling our scholarship department at 301-967-4708.
Application packets postmarked later than February 25, 2015, will NOT be acknowledged or considered. No exceptions will be permitted even if a third party is responsible for the delay.
IMPORTANT: Complete the application and MAIL TO:
IAM scholarship Program 9000 Machinists Place, Room 117 Upper Marlboro, MD 20772-2687
All Scholarship Applicants are Advised –
The Selection Committee Award recipients will be chosen by an independent Selection Committee composed of four qualified educators from the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
The Selection Procedure The Committee attempts to select from each IAM territory applicants who have demonstrated learning ability and all-around suitability for college work or for attending vocational/technical school. In reaching this determination, many factors are taken into consideration, including: grades, attitude toward study, personal references, available test scores, the opinion of counselors and teachers and activities outside of school. For member applicants, weight is given to participation in local lodge responsibilities. Canadian students are judged according to Canadian scholastic standards. The IAM scholarship winners and honorable mentions will be announced in the Summer 2015 on the IAM website.
All Award Recipients –
The Sponsoring Member and Member Applicants –
** For college scholarship recipients only.
When proper notification is submitted to the Scholarship Committee, the following may be approved: If the recipient enlists in the military, the award will be held in reserve for a period no longer than three years.
If the recipient enters the Peace Corps, the award will be held in reserve for a period no longer than two years.
The recipient must apply for reinstatement of the scholarship within three months after discharge from the military service or Peace Corps and must enroll in college. A request for temporary suspension for academic reasons may be granted for a period not exceeding one year.
In the case of illness or accident, the award may be held in reserve for a period not to exceed two years. The student would be expected to resume college or vocational/technical work as soon as possible.
The IAM will set aside the total amount in the Scholarship Fund necessary to finance the student through the period of the award. The Program was established in the confident expectation that it will remain indefinitely, as long as donations continue. If unforeseen circumstances should cause the Program to be discontinued, scholarships in effect would be continued for their duration, and all money remaining in the Fund would be used solely for educational purposes.
Union Plus Credit Card Scholarships.
Send a postcard with your name, return address, telephone number and union to: Union Plus Scholarship Program, P.O. Box 34800, Wash., DC 20043-4800 or download the application from the Union Privilege web site in early September: www.unionplus.org/scholarships.
AFL-CIO’s Scholarship Guide.
The web site is www.aflcio.org for links to all unions and Federally-funded scholarship programs.
Federal Student Aid Information Center.
Call 1-800-433-3243 for a free copy of “The Student Guide.” The web site is www.StudentAid.ed.gov then link to publications or www.fafsa.ed.gov.
The web site is: http://www.trade-schools.net for information
on Voc-tech schools in the U.S. and Canada or www.accsct.org
for an alternate U.S. site.
2015 IAM Newsletter & Website Contest
Dear Brothers and Sisters:
This is the official announcement of the 2014 IAM Newsletter & Website Contest. It is open to all local and district lodges in good standing having publications that are regularly distributed or mailed to members and/or maintain regularly-updated IAM websites. This contest will consider newsletters published between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014 and websites operating online during the judging period.
Enclosed are the Official Entry Forms and Contest Rules. The deadline to submit entries is Friday, March 6, 2015. Please read the Contest Rules carefully.
Awards for newsletters will include:
• General Excellence • Best Layout & Design • Best Feature
Awards for websites will include:
• General Excellence • Best Layout & Design • Special Performance
An independent panel of judges will review submitted newsletters and websites and will then select the winners. Contact the Communications Department at 301-967-4520 if you have any questions.
Best wishes and good luck!
R. Thomas Buffenbarger
|Copyright © 2014 IAMAW|
- IAM Local 712 and IAM Disaster Relief efforts at its best“On July 11th, 2019 the President of the Local 712, Yvon Paiement and I, met IAM members who were impacted by floods this past April. We wanted to talk with them and deliver monies personally through donations from IAM members. Those receiving the donations greatly appreciated the help and thanked Local 712. On their behalf,… Read […]
- 2019 United Way CampaignJuly 11, 2019 To: Recording Secretaries of IAM Local Lodges in Canada I am writing to endorse and encourage the support of your Local Lodge membership for the United Way Campaign in your community. These are tough times and we simply cannot allow the less fortunate in our communities to suffer because of the impact… Read […]
- DL140 2019 Annual Convention – Victoria, B.C. OCTOBER 28th & 29th, 2019TO ALL LOCALS OF DISTRICT LODGE 140 ****REVISED**** 2019 ANNUAL CONVENTION – BRITISH COLUMBIA OCTOBER 28th & 29th, 2019 Dear Brothers and Sisters: Please be advised that Transportation District 140 will hold its 2019 Annual Convention on Monday, October 28th, 2019 and Tuesday, October 29th, 2019. The convention will take place at: The Hotel Grand… Read […]
- IAM Local 712 and IAM Disaster Relief efforts at its best
- A few words from our President from the Ontario Provincial Council of MachinstsMy name is Kim Valliere and I have been an active member of the Machinist Union for approx 22yrs. I believe that together we can build a strong Labour movement in Ontario and through union activity and community involvement help workers understand the importance of their involvement and voice in the constant fight for “Good […]
- 2012 Grand Lodge ConventionThe IAMAW 38th Grand Lodge Convention was a Grand Success. Thank you to LL 901 Delegate, Gary Cranshaw for representing our Local. To watch the many educational speakers and activists, including TV Host Jerry Springer, from the 38th IAMAW Convention follow this link: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iam-38th-grand-lodge-convention
- 2012 Labour Day Parade was a Success !For more photos “click” on the photos tab.
- A few words from our President from the Ontario Provincial Council of Machinsts